About the author
M E Fuller has been in love with stories and words from her earliest beginnings. In 2015 she took the plunge to work full time as a writer and visual artist. Fuller, who had been writing client copy for decades, was struggling with her first book-length manuscript and realized that writing a novel was an entirely different orientation to storytelling.
She received grant assistance from her regional arts council to take classes and workshops that taught the craft of creative writing. Her resulting first novel, Saving the Ghost, is a powerful story of survival and emotional healing. You can read the first chapter for free.
Fuller has published other short works as well and is experimenting with new genres: cozy mystery and dark fantasy. Both new works are scheduled to be published in 2021.
Creative Writing: Cozy Mystery, Dark Fantasy, Essay, Flash & Literary Fiction
- Worlds and Words: 2017-2020
- Greyhairs Rising, year-long blog series designed to encourage retired artists, November 2016 to October 2017
- Bad Mood Good Mood, satirical essays, 2009 to 2015
A new blog begins in 2021 to cover topics on the writer’s mentoring process, coaching experiences, and more.
M E Fuller will begin a mentoring experience in 2021 under the guidance of award-winning fantasy writer, Lyda Morehouse. With financial assistance from the Minnesota State Arts Board Creative Support for Individuals grant, Fuller will be mentored by Morehouse on the development of her dark fantasy novel, Unwinding AnneLeah. This mentoring experience will be offered in workshop form in the summer of 2021, to encourage writers to work in collaboration with others to make their writing the best it can be. Watch for journal entries about this experience on M E Fuller’s blog.
The Minnesota State Arts Board Creative Support for Individuals grant is designed to help Minnesota artists and culture bearers adapt to changes in their working environment caused by the global pandemic. Grantees will be able to use funds to sustain their practice and stay relevant and connected to audiences, participants, students, or communities now and in the future. This grant program aims to help Minnesota artists and culture bearers maintain their visibility and financial sustainability by using their creativity and connections to community.
The Last Roll Call, PHOTOWRITE, October 2018
- 2021 – Southwest Minnesota Arts Council – emerging artist grant.
- 2021 – Minnesota State Arts Board Creative Support for Individuals
- 2017 – Artist Project Grant, Five Wings Arts Council with funds from The McKnight Foundation, to complete for publication, her first novel, Saving the Ghost.
- 2015 – Artist Project Grant, Five Wings Arts Council with funds from The McKnight Foundation, to complete the first draft of Saving the Ghost.
RESIDENCIES & RETREATS
- 2-day memoir workshop with Kao Kalia Yang, Park Rapids, MN, August 21 -22, 2019
- Week-long intensive with Sheila O’Connor, College of Saint Benedict, July 16-20
- Chippewa Valley Writer’s Guild – 5-day residency with Nickolas Butler and B J Hollars, June 2017
- Springboard for the Arts Hinge Artist in residence, Fergus Falls, MN, November-December 2017